The Beetroot is a taproot portion of a beet plant. Usually, known as beets in Canada and USA. May have anti cancer properties,Lowers blood pressure and improves the performance during exercise and also one’s energy level. It helps improve digestive health and it’s anti inflammatory.
It’s a hearty and an earthy vegetable, as its a root vegetable and even being a child i never hated it or eloped from not consuming it. I would love to consume this mixing it with rice. Even now as an adult my love for the beetroot rice never fades away. And a little joy for me comes from looking at my beautiful pinkish red palm after cutting the vegetables.I personally love it. Am sure everyone has their own way and methods of consuming veggies, meat and all food items. Being from South India, i have and love my methodology of making this. I am glad to share this to you all here, of how i make them, which is been taught back home, and observed by me of what my ancestors or parents home cooks these with. Don’t forget to see the NOTES column of what are the alternates if not this.
These go well with any rice varities or plain rice too. As they are root vegetables like carrots and turnips, their skin serves no purpose. So we dispose them and then use the vegetable for cooking.
Before further delay let’s check out the rceipe. What ever i have here it is a quick and clear recipe and no extra efforts or burdens added to the recipe to make them enticing with many things.
Coconut oil- 2 teaspoons
Urad dal-1 teaspoon
Chana dal-1 teaspoon
Asafetida powder-1/2 teaspoon
Red chili whole- 3
Salt- as needed
Curry leaves- an arch
Grated Coconuts- 2 tablespoon
- Wash, peel the skin of the beetroots, and chop them to fine pieces.
- Then Microwave or boil it in stove top in a pan for 8-10 minutes.
- Then in a pan add oil, allow the oil to come into a warm temperature before you add other ingredients, Then add red chilis, mustards, chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves. Once the mustard splutter and the dal turns golden, add the strained cooked vegetable.
- Add asafetida and salt. Stir them together.
- After couple of minutes add coconuts and mix.
- Let it stay for 5 more mins and then transfer them to a bowl.
- Serve hot with your favorite meal or rice.
- Beetroots can be pressured cooked with one whistle, pressure cooked in IP too. As well, be grated for cooking in this methodology.
- Onions & garlics as well ginger can be added.
- Cumins can be added while adding the lentils and mustards.
- Any oil right from Sesame, vegetable, canola, even olive oil can be used. If you want to try with butter or ghee please do it.
- Red chilies can be substituted with Green chilies or other peppers. Some make it with black peppercorns too. By crushing them or making them to a powder.
- If you don’t have fresh coconuts, use dry coconuts. (dessicated) Or can also ignore coconuts.
- Try your flavors with home made curry powders too, or rasam powder or sambar powder too
- Some would like to try with Garam masala powder and Coriander powder.
- You can mix in other vegetables to it while stir frying them by adding potatoes/carrots/beans/even cabbage.
- Also we can add beetroots to make patties, Indian breads, Or cheese balls, or even pancakes. -This is absolutely for both my Indians and Non-Indian friends.
Hope you all like it. Do comment if you like and also have any doubts related. And for more recipes, catch me up on instagram.