Semiya payasam/ Vermicelli kheer is a South Indian sweet recipe which is made with Vermicelli,Milk,Sugar,Ghee,Cashews and raisins and mixed nuts. Added pleasantness is giving a flavor of cardamom powder.It is one of the easiest sweet recipe and it’s mostly made during every occasion in house as well as in festivals and celebration days. And even in Indian Weddings.
As i said earlier it is the easiest and the quickest sweet dish made under 20 minutes. To make it more rich and creamy some use Full cream or Milkmaid.
In a healthier note or healthier version some avoid sugar or sweetener and substitute with Jaggery.
HOW TO MAKE SEMIYA PAYASAM WITH STEP BY STEP INGREDIENTS AND RECIPE NOTE:
VERMICELLI/SEMIYA- 1 CUP
WHOLE MILK- 2 CUPS
WATER- 3/4 CUP
GHEE- 3 TEASPOONS
RAISINS- 3/4 TABLESPOON
CARDAMOM POWDER- 3/4 TEASPOON
SAFFRON STRINGS- 1/2 TEASPOON
MILK MAID (OPTIONAL) – 2 TABLESPOON
- In a pan add ghee, along with it add cashews and raisins and roast them without burning it.
- You can choose to keep this aside or add the vermicelli along and saute. I have used the store bought already roasted vermicelli. So saute for 3 minutes on medium to low flame and then add water to it to cook.
- Then once the vermicelli is cooked, add the sugar and the milk. It will be creamy and delicious further if you add milk maid or cream.
- Add cardamom powder. Then add the saffron strings. You can also add saffron strings in 1 tablespoon warm milk previously and add this to the payasam.
- Transfer this to a bowl and then serve warm or cold.
- You can substitute jaggery powder instead of sugar.
- You can also add sabudana pearls to it along with vermicelli.
- Some will prefer to cook this with coconut milk or coconut cream.Also, try making it with doubled almond milk as recipe will be creamier. If you are a vegan you will love this.
- If you don’t have raisins just add roasted Cashews and almonds or pistachio alone.
- It is alright if you don’t have saffron strands.
- You can also make the same recipe in Instant Pot too.