Kosambari is a typical south indian salad that is made easily with few ingredients. They are consumed as snacks as well as served along with full course meals. They are also served in hindu weddings as a part of the menu. It is indeed made during festivals and special occasions as mentioned in weddings too. I would like to call this as Indian version of Summer salad.
It’s the salad infused with soaked lentils, freshly grated coconuts, as well it’s quite a healthy dish and as days go along many have started altering infusing with their own version. I mean why not?
This special dish is served to Lord Ram for Rama Navami ( which is celebrated as his birthday around the world). While making it for him some add only cucumbers, and avoid carrots. Some choose to add carrots too. As well tempering with mustard seeds plays a vital part, however you can skip this step.
In this version of mine, than the usual method i have added one more ingredients which is very much adaptive to summer salad. That’s the Mango. You can choose to add Raw mangoes too.
MOONG DAL- 1/4 CUP
CARROTS- 1 CUP
CUCUMBER -1 CUP
MANGO- 1/3 CUP
GRATED COCONUT- 1/4 CUP
SALT- AS NEEDED
GREEN CHILIES – 2 CHOPPED
LEMON JUICE- 1 TEASPOON
CORIANDER LEAVES- FOR GARNISHING
I HAVEN’T USED TEMPERING SO AM NOT ADDING THAT COLUMN OF INGREDIENT HERE. FOR VISUAL UNDERSTANDING OF HOW I MAKE, I WILL BE POSTING REELS VIDEO IN MY INSTAGRAM, DO CHECK IT OUT IF INTERESTED.
- Soak yellow moong dal in water for 20 minutes. Even 10 minutes will do.
- Prepare all the veggies needed. Wash, peel and grate the carrots, Peel and chop the cucumbers finely, Cut and scoop the mangoes and finely chop or dice them. Keep them ready.
- Finely chop two green chilies for the spice level to kick in.
- Then in a big bowl, add carrots, cucumbers, mangoes, the soaked and drained moong dal, freshly grated coconuts, salt for taste, lemon juice and coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Mix everything together and transfer them to a serving bowl. You can choose to place them in fridge before serving, As some prefer chilled and some don’t.
- As mentioned earlier you can choose to alter this salad according to your taste and interest.
- You can skip green chilies and add 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder / paprika.
- As i mentioned earlier you can totally skip adding carrots or cucumber or mango. Meaning you can choose to skip one of the items. Lol not all. As well replace the mango fruit with raw mango pieces for tangy taste.
- Adding lemon juice evokes the tanginess and it tastes amazing and healthy too in a salad. That’s the healthiest choice i prefer yet, if you don’t have lemon juice do add 1/2 teaspoon of chaat masala.
- Regarding tempering, add less oil (3/4 teaspoon) and add 1/2 teaspoon of mustard and curry leaves and temper them finally to the kosambari.
- Well if you don’t appreciate or like the taste of freshly grated coconuts, do ignore.
- Some add tumeric powder or fresh ground turmeric, I will say suit yourself.
FOR MORE RECIPES DO FOLLOW ME ON MY INSTAGRAM AND YOUTUBE.
YOUTUBE I AM TRYING MY BEST TO POST ON MONDAY’S. AND INSTAGRAM EVERY DAY.