A rice based dish widely popular and prepared in South India. It is the mixing of seasoning and spices along with turmeric and lemon juice. Adding the turmeric enhances the color of the rice giving the lemony vibe flavoring with the lemon’s juice.
They are also called as Chitranna in other language from India. Its flavorful and tangy and delicious and quick to make too.
As coming from the South Indian cuisine, This includes fried grams, peanuts and cashewnuts according to one’s choice.
This can be made either with left over rice or freshly cooked rice. I would say when you are freshly cooking the rice for this, You can use short grained rice like Raw rice or boiled rice. Some like basmati too. In the picture below i have also used Basmati rice for making this dish.
You can choose to soak the rice or pressure cook it. Either ways it works well.
Below let us see both Pan method and Instant Pot method.
Sesame Oil-2 tablespoon
Ghee- 2 teaspoon
Chana Dal-2 teaspoons
Urad Dal- 2 teaspoons
Green chilies- 4 nos
Turmeric powder-3/4 teaspoon
Salt- as needed
Curry leaves- 5-6 chopped or split
Coriander leaves-3 tablespoon
Lemon- 1 whole
- Pressure cook rice with 1-3 whistles depending on what rice you use. I have used Basmati Rice so i kept only one whistle in pressure cooker.
- In a pan add oil, then add mustards. Allow mustards to splutter and then add chana dal, urad dal and let it turn golden in color.
- Add green chilies and curry leaves. Then add 3/4 teaspoon turmeric and lower the flame.
- Then add one whole lemon’s juice. Be careful as adding the citric juice to the oil may splutter that is the reason flame has to be low.
- Then add the cooked rice and salt and gently mix together.
- Temper cashews in ghee and add it to the rice.
INSTANT POT METHOD:
1.Set instant pot by adding rice and salt to it along with 1 &1/4 cup of rice. Use the Pressure cook option and set on high for 5 minutes. (I have 6 quart IP). Do a quick pressure release by turning the knob of the steam after 5 minutes.
2.Transfer the rice to a bowl and allow it to come to a room temperature.
3. Then wash the steel vessel of IP and then clean it well and pat dry. Then set it to saute mode on high for 3 minutes. Add oil and the mentioned ghee quantity. To it add the mustard. Allow mustard to splutter. Then add the lentils and the chilies and curry leaves. Saute and then add turmeric powder. Then fry the cashews along.
4. Turn off the IP and add lemon juice and temper it on the rice. Add salt to the rice. Then mix everything together.
This is very easy and less time consuming too.
I haven’t tried this yet, but i will surely be bringing Instant Pot Methods as well soon.
- Adding peanuts to this rice gives a crunchy flavor and tastes great.
- Lemon concentrate can be used instead of real lemon fruit juice.
- Cashew nut is an option. Choose to skip if u do not have it.