Parupusili are the most authentic and old style variety which is flavoring from our ancestral period amongst South Indian households.
The most relishing and colorful veggie made out of lentils and sautéed along with veggies like beans, cluster beans,chow chow, cabbage and carrots.
I have used karamani / long beans/phaliyan
Let’s get on to the recipe
Long beans-2 cups
Thuvar dal -1/2 cup
Chana dal -1/2 cup
Red chilies -3
Turmeric -1/2 tsp
Salt as needed
Asafetida -1/2 tsp
Curry leaves- an arch
Mustard -1 tsp
Urud dal-1 tsp
1. Boil the beans by adding salt for 10 to 12 mins in microwave or stove top.
2. Then soak both the dals (lentils) for 15 mins.
3. Now in a blender add the lentils,red chilies, asafetida, salt and turmeric and make a coarse paste of it
It has to be in this consistency after grinding. 👇🏽
4. Now I have add the oil in a pan and tempered with mustard and urud dal and the curry leaves and added this grounded paste to it.
5. Mix well and just allow the dal to get cooked for 5 to 7 mins on medium to low flame without burning it
6. Once the dal is ready add the boiled and strained vegetable (long bean here) to this mixture
7. Mix them well and cover and cook for another 5 mins without burning them.
You can even take extra 2 to 3 mins to cook.
8. Now the beautifully colored and aromatic parupusili is ready to go with rice and vathalkuzhambu or mor kuzhambu or can be consumed as whole.