Murungai keerai /Drumstick /Moringa leaves kootu
A healthy and tasty greens cooked with dal and spice.!
As we all know this spinach variety cannot be cooked or boiled for a longer time as it will give bitterness to the whole meal and will spoil the pot.!
This spinach can be used in many food items and done in methods .. today I made kootu(dal gravy) so let’s get into the recipe
Drumstick leaves – 1 bunch
Thuvar dal-1/2 cup
Coconut -2 tbsp
Red chilies -2
Pepper corns-1 tsp
Sambar powder-1 tsp
Turmeric -1/2 tsp
Salt as needed
Mustard -1/2 tsp
1.Remove leaves alone and wash them well and chop and keep aside(you can also use whole leaves)
2. Pressure cook dal (can also use moong dal )
3. Grind coconut , pepper,cumin and red chilies in to a smooth paste.
4. In a pan add the mashed pressure cooked dal and to it add turmeric ,salt and asafetida and 1/2 cup of water and allow it to boil for 2mins.
5. Now add sambar powder and the grounded paste.. let this boil for 3 mins
6.Now Add the spinach and mix well and let this cook for just 4 to 5 mins covered by lid.
7. Add 1tsp of rice flour paste if needed to thicken the consistency
8. Temper with ghee and other ingredients..
A very tasty and healthy dish is ready to serve with rice,dosa and even roti’s..