Purple cabbage kootu
Green brinjal & gram flour vathakal (curry)
Cauliflower coconut curry
Recipe for PURPLE CABBAGE KOOTU:
1.Pressure cook 1 cup moong dal for 4 whistles , mash and keep aside .
2. Boil chopped purple cabbage for 10 mins with salt and then add 1tsp of asafetida powder.
3. In a blender grind 2 tbsp grated coconut ,2 red chilies ,1tsp cumin seeds and add this to the kootu.
4. Cook for 5 mins more and if you want it to thicken add 1 tsp of rice flour powder to water and make it as paste and add it to the kootu.
5. Temper in ghee by adding 3/4th tsp of mustard, 1/2 tsp of cumin and 1tsp of urud dal and curry leaves. Remove from flame.
This can be mixed with rice , or taken as whole, or with dosa and roti too.
Recipe for GREEN BRINJAL & GRAMFLOUR (chickpea flour) VATHAKAL:
1. Slice the brinjal and boil for just 5 mins.
2. In a pan add 1 & 1/2 tbsp of oil and add 3/4th mustard seeds ,1 tsp urud dal and then some curry leaves. Add the brinjal to it.
3. Add 1tsp of asafetida, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder , salt and 1 tsp or 2 tsp of red chili powder according to your spice level.
4. Cook for 5 to 7 mins and then add 1 tbsp of gram flour.. let it get sautéed for 3 mins more and then remove from flame.
Add 1 tsp of ghee to it for extra flavor
Adding gramflour will consume the extra oil on a veggie.. and it also tastes good. Can make ladysfinger, or any vathakal (fried) vegetable like this .