I personally love this version my mother in law makes and it tastes great. Probably you all would have notice or tasted it in some occasion or function as it’s common,easy to make and tasty too.
Vathal kuzhambu are always comes to us as an emergency help 😜 when we don’t have anything at home and we make this and store in fridge it’s easy to grab. Apadiye Thayir sadham oda jammunu sapadlam.!
First Leme post the recipe with step by step pics.
Then will do the NOTE tips.!
•Tamarind water -2 cups
•Red chili powder-1/2 tsp
•Salt as needed
•Sambar powder-1 tbsp
•Thuvar dal-1 tsp
•Fenugreek -1/2 tsp
•Gingely oil -2 tsp
•Urud dal -3 tsp
1. In a pan add 1 tsp of oil and add the ingredients under grinding column and sauté and cool it down and grind into a powder.(coarse powder)
2. In the same pan add 2 tbsp oil and add mustard,chili,thuvar dal, fenugreek and curry leaves and sauté.
3. In a plate add turmeric,asafetida,chili powder,salt,sambar powder and rice flour. Mix well.
4. To the pan add manathakalika vathal and curry leaves and the items mentioned above. Sauté on medium to low for a minute and to it add the tamarind water and allow it to boil for 5 to 7 mins for the raw smell of tamarind to go and even the sambar powder.
5. Then add the grounded item to it and let it boil for 2 mins. Can see the consistency getting thicker.
6. Now switch off the flame and add the gingely oil and serve this hot with rice .
•Any dried vathal can be added to it instead of manathakalika vathal.
•Add the chili powder or sambar powder or the grounded spices according to the quantity you make or in need of it. I have added for the quantity measurement I have given above
•You can make this as a paste and also add more gingely oil and store in fridge and use for a month.
•Jaggery can be added (1 tsp)
•As we have already sautéed the urud dal,coconut and fenugreek on the grounded column we don’t need to boil them for a longer time once added to kuzhambu.
[Do post your doubts on the comment column. Or if anyone don’t understand anything that I have mentioned above]
Step by step picture:
2 thoughts on “Varuthadicha vathalkuzhambu (arachuvita kuzhambu)”
Followed ur recipe. Vathal kuzhambu turned out absolutely delicious. 😇
Ur food photography is inviting.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks a lot 😊♥️